Distribution Automatique

Friday, February 14

Woke up with this thought today: music is more and more finding a place in contemporary poetry. I thought of Nada Gordon's reading scheduled at the Poetry Project for Wednesday, February 19th (with Steve Katz). She said recently on her blog that she plans to sing a new song and I remembered the Drawing Center reading not long ago where afterwards I asked her what she needs the poetry scene for if she can sing like that! Her friend Marianne said, the poetry scene needs her! It certainly does. Also, recently Steve Benson (he read with "The Buddha" Andy Levy) gave a very funny, and affecting reading at the Bowery Poetry Club. Steve Benson improvises his readings on the spot, maybe with some plan in mind.This improv contained a lot of hilarious questions which led (as they often do) to still more hilarious questions, some serious ones, some whimsical ones. I remembered that the closing reading at the Ear Inn many years ago was given by Steve, also improvisational, as a duet with a sax player.

Drew Gardner's recent reading at the Bowery Poetry Club included his use of an electric piano- he 's an accomplished professional musician - and the reading was quite a hit there, the audience calling for an encore. Today I received a message from Drew calling on poets to bring disposable or cheap instruments, tin whistles, maracas, whatever, to the Peace March tomorrow, Saturday the 15th. Now I'm looking forward to the peace march more than ever. I remember my kindergarten teacher telling me I was great on rhythm sticks. Poets For Peace meets at 59th Street and 1st Avenue at 11 a.m.

Yesterday, immediately after I posted my message here about Jackson I received an email containing a call for contributions towards the 50th Anniversary presentation of John Cage's Williams Mix- Larry Austin's "Williams (re) mix...stallation" at Engine 27, NYC, March 2003. This is an open call for uploaded soundfiles to be included in the performance/installation. I enjoyed the synchronicity of receiving this announcement concerning John Cage at that moment since he was a friend and mentor of Jackson's.

Speaking of contemporary music, the incomparable Shelley Hirsch will be performing voice and electronics at PS 1 on Saturday, February 22 at 4:30 p.m. Admission is free