Distribution Automatique

Thursday, April 5

Are Those Rag Dolls Lying There in the Poet's Corner?

Wait a minute...they're all standing up...they've got their arms out...they're walking towards me...


Tom Beckett's Little Book of Zombie Poems
designed by Mark Young

**************************************
"The academy of my dreams is opening its doors..."
(Ted Berrigan)


In my dream last night I was in the subway looking for Uijongbu. I try to call somebody from the dark platform but two tough guys start to approach me. When I woke up I remembered where the word was from and then I had a very strong, sad feeling of missing Ted.

I remembered this:

"It is 8:54 a.m. in Brooklyn it's the 28th of July and
it's probably 8:54 in Manhattan but I'm
in Brooklyn I'm eating English Muffins and drinking
pepsi and I'm thinking of how Brooklyn is New
York city too how odd I usually think of it as
something all its own like Bellows Falls like Little
Chute like Uijongbu"

-Ted Berrigan's *Sonnets* (Grove Press, 1964)

I looked up Ted Berrigan in the Wikipedia. It turns out Ted served in the army during the Korean war.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ted Berrigan (15 November 1934 - 4 July 1983) was an American poet.

Berrigan was born in Providence, Rhode Island, on November 15, 1934. After high school, he spent a year at Providence College before joining the U.S. Army in 1954 to serve in the Korean War. After three years in the Army, he finished his college studies at the University of Tulsa in Oklahoma, where he received a B.A. in English in 1959. He received his M.A. from Tulsa in 1962. Berrigan was married to Sandy Berrigan, also a poet, and they had two children, David Berrigan and Kate Berrigan. He and his second wife the poet Alice Notley were active in the poetry scene in Chicago for several years, then moved to New York City, where he edited various magazines and books.


Uijeongbu
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uijeongbu is a city in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. Its geographical location is 37°45′N 127°3′E.
The city is located just north of Seoul with many U.S. and Korean military bases for the defense of the Korean capital. The U.S. Second Infantry Division has established its headquarters in the city with main troops deployed in Dongducheon City.
In M*A*S*H, this city (then just a village) served as the home of MASH 4077.